This is the Welsh Language Commissioner’s second strategic plan. It outlines the Commissioner’s objectives and priorities for the period from April 2015 to March 2017.
In working towards achieving her long term vision, the Commissioner has identified 5 strategic objectives:
1. Influencing the consideration given to the Welsh language in policy developments
2. Ensuring justice for Welsh language users
3. Imposing statutory duties and regulating them
4. Encouraging, promoting and facilitating the use of the Welsh language on a voluntary basis
5. Operating and communicating appropriately and effectively
The aim and functions of the Commissioner are defined in the Welsh Language (Wales) Measure 2011. Her main aim is to promote and facilitate the use of the Welsh language (making it easier for people to use in their day to day lives). In doing this, the Commissioner must try to increase the use of Welsh in the provision of services, and other situations. Also, she will focus on the official status of the Welsh language in Wales and on the duties, imposed by law, to use the Welsh language.
In addition to her statutory aims and functions, the Commissioner’s wider vision is:
A Wales where the Welsh language is central to everyday life and where it can be used increasingly