The Commissioner is able to do anything she thinks is appropriate to
- promote and facilitate the use of the Welsh language (making it easier for people to use in their day to day lives)
- work towards ensuring that the Welsh language is treated no less favourably than the English language.
- making recommendations in writing to the Welsh Ministers
- making representations to any person or organization
- giving advice to any person or organization.
If the Commissioner makes a recommendation, representation, or gives advice to Welsh Ministers in writing, they must give it due regard in any relevant work.
The Commissioner regularly uses these powers by
- influencing policy
- responding to consultations
- advising Welsh Ministers and other persons on matters to do with the Welsh language.
The Commissioner’s advice documents can be viewed here.
The Commissioner’s response to consultations can be viewed here.